Joint Information Link

Living on the border of Hampshire and Surrey as we do we often come across information that covers Hampshire. This is one such instance.

What is the Joint Information Link?

The Joint Information Link (JIL) is a record of children who have disabilities and who are resident in the county of Hampshire in the UK, or who are registered with a Hampshire GP. It does not include Portsmouth and Southampton who have their own registers. The information is held on a database by Hampshire Social Services and can be accessed by Children’s Services and the Health Service.

Why is a JIL needed?

The JIL can store information about a child’s disability and their individual needs. It can also contain the name of your child, date of birth, address, family GP and the school he/she attends. It enables Hampshire County Council to co-ordinate services for children with disabilities, and work together with families to plan and provide better services for the future.

The JIL also aims to provide the following benefits:

  • Each parent or carer whose child is on the JIL will receive a copy of the “Pinpoint” publication which gives details about services available in Hampshire – statutory and voluntary services and how these can be accessed. This is updated
    approximately every eighteen months
  • Each parent or carer whose child is on the JIL will receive a copy of the ‘Linklines’ newsletter, published every other month.
  • Help ensure Hampshire County Council make more effective transition plans for those disabled young people who are likely to need support into adulthood
  • Enable Hampshire County Council to identify gaps in services for children with disabilities and their families
  • Help Hampshire County Council to decide which services will be required in the future, for both children and adult services.

How do I put my child’s name on the JIL?

If you are resident in Hampshire or registered with a Hampshire GP you can choose to put your child’s name on the JIL. You can apply in several ways:

  • For newly diagnosed children your Health Visitor, Consultant Paediatrician or GP may ask you whether you would like your child’s name to go on the JIL.
  • If your child has already been diagnosed, you can:
    • contact the JIL co-ordinator (
    • ask your social worker for an application form
    • if you child attends a special school your child’s headteacher can provide you
      with a form
  • Young people, under 18 years, who are able to decide for themselves can ask for
    their name to be placed on the JIL.
  • You can ask for your child’s name to be placed on the JIL at any time up to the
    time they are 18 years of age.

You can also ask for child’s name to be removed from the JIL at any time.


The JIL is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998. This means only relevant staff working in Social Services, Health or Education will have access to the information provided.

Must my child be on the JIL?

Putting your child’s name on the JIL is purely voluntary. If you decide not to this will not prevent you from receiving any services your child my be assessed as needing.

Comments are closed.